Saturday, October 26, 2013

And just like that, my first 5k is complete!

Today was amazing.

I woke up with a bit of a nervous stomach and didn't eat anything but an apple and several glasses of water. I just couldn't stomach anything else. By the time it was time to leave at 8:15 am, adrenaline was already pumping through my veins. The wait at the start line was the worst part. One because I had to wait. Two because it was FREEZING! Not even joking. Literally freezing. Like 26 degrees. It was nice, though, that my wait was with friends and co-workers.





I felt pretty good when we started. I had my music going and was enjoying myself. People passed me up (including a few speed walkers), but I didn't care. It wasn't about when I finished, it was only about finishing.

I started slower than I normally would, but after the first mile I picked it up a little bit. I wanted to make sure that I at least finished at my average time. I was a little worried about the weather, actually. Did I have too many layers? Not enough? But I decided that no matter what, too hot or too cold, it would be less than 50 minutes (my average), so it didn't matter.

Dad drove along the route and took pictures throughout the whole race, so it was nice to have the pictures, but it was even better knowing that I had a van full of people who love me following me around and rooting me on!


(For the record, I run in a skirt over leggings because of modesty reasons. I do not feel modest in leggings and a tshirt. People have asked, so there you go. My reason for a running skirt.)



Along about half way through, my hands started to sweat and get really hot, so I had to slow down a bit and get rid of my gloves. I tucked them into my waist band and kept going. Also about that time, my hips started to ache a bit, but that is kind of normal for me. When you are carrying around as much weight as I am, I guess it's just par for the course.



At this point in the run (less than a mile to go), I switched my music to a playlist where all the music is in 6/8 and I force myself to run in time with the music. It helps me focus and put one foot in front of the other and keeps me running at a steady pace.

 

The last half mile of the race took place around the track at Old Mill Park. I knew that a hill was coming and I was cursing the person who decided to make the finish line at the top of a hill. Also about the time that the above photo was taken, the app on my phone told me that if I kept at my current pace, I would beat my personal record. So I kicked myself into a higher gear and went for it!



AND DONE! It was awesome to see my dad there at the finish line. He's been a big supporter and encourager through this whole thing. I would have liked to have both my boys there, but it was too cold for them to be out. They get sick if someone sneezes 20 feet away, so I didn't take a chance. Silas was in the van with my mom, so they came over after the race was done. He gave me a big hug and kiss, and that made my day even better!



When I turned off the app on my phone, I finally realized what my time was. Two whole minutes under my previous best time! THRILLED! And yes, that is sweat turned frost on my head.



Here's part of Team Morgan-Franklin (my co-workers) finishing their walk. I am very proud of them as well! Some of them weren't sure that they could finish, but they all did. So yay for them!



I seriously love the ladies I work with! They have been nothing but supportive in my whole journey and it was amazing to have them there with me. We were missing Shelly, but she had some family stuff that had to be taken care of, but she was with us in spirit!

It may not look like it, but I was quite emotional today. I kept the tears at bay, but they were always ready to spill over. Today wasn't just a 5k. It may have been to other people, but to me it was so much more. It was the culmination of literal blood, sweat, and tears. If you would have asked me a year ago if I would have ever ran an entire 5k, I would laugh and say no way. I have had many, many ups and downs on this path that I am on. I am a different person than the girl who started months ago. This journey started back in April, but there is much more to come. More weight loss, more races, more running, more exercising, more healthy eating. I'm not done and I'm not stopping.

Now for another reason for my emotional-ness today. All the race proceeds went directly to the KY Pink Connection. It is an organization that provides monetary assistance for people with breast cancer for doctors appointments, mammograms, and other women's health issues.

 

 I am not usually a very gushy person, but four women that are dear to me have survived breast cancer. Bertha Fyffe, Lisa Fyffe, Martha Stoltzfus, and Sue Hooley are strong, amazing women that I get to call my step-grandmother, aunts, and Grandma. These women, my family, have endured more than many of us ever will. They are the epitome of fighter. I know two of those women probably wouldn't want to be considered a 'fighter' since they are conservative mennonites and we don't typically call ourselves fighters, but they are. Their endurance, and faith, kept me strong today. Knowing that they are alive and kicking kept me putting one foot in front of the other. If these women can go through the hell of cancer and come out strong, surely I can start and finish a 5k. The above picture was originally going to be on a shirt that I was going to wear, but since that didn't work it was my phone wall paper. I kept them with me through the whole race. Every time I looked at my phone to see my average pace or how far I had ran so far, I would see their smiling faces and it would spur me on.

So thank you.

I'm going to stop now, because I am having problems keeping the tears at bay, now that I am in the privacy of my own home with only my husband and sons to see me.

P.S. Speaking of husbands and sons. Seriously, I have the best! I talked about a lot of people today that have kept me going, but without those three special guys, I wouldn't be where I am today. So yeah. Couldn't forget them!





No comments:

Post a Comment