Tuesday, July 23, 2013

frozen greek yogurt bars

You are seriously in for a fan-flippin'-tastic treat! Allow me to toot my own horn here for a minute. These frozen treats are so good and pretty low calorie. You are going to love them. For serious.

You may remember me talking about my favorite post run snack of frozen Greek yogurt bars. They are fantastic. Super yummy and come in around 110 calories and 5 grams of protein. The problem is that they can be a bit expensive for my budget (around $3 for four bars). So of course, my brain started thinking of ways to make them myself on the cheap.

I looked at several recipes on pinterest and then kind of just made my own with what I had on hand. I whipped up a batch and I'm in love. They came out to be around 56 calories a bar, but the molds I used were pretty small. So I'll probably eat two for my after run morsel. The recipe is so easy and adaptable. I really think you're going to love it! Plus, it's that time of summer when stores are trying to get rid of all their summer wares, so you'll be able to pick up some popsicle molds way cheap!

Recipe disclaimer: As with many of my recipes, if you are looking for something that is all natural and all that jazz, you may want to look elsewhere. While all natural/organic/etc is great. I just can't do that where I am. It is not in the budget. I am not above artificial sweeteners and non-food food items (i.e. cool whip) on occasion and this recipe includes both. So move along, if that's not your thing. If you don't care to indulge in a bit of aspartame and cool whip, then read on.

As always, sorry about the low picture quality.



Ingredients/stuff you'll need:
1 cup plain nonfat Greek style yogurt
1 package of sugar free gelatin (I used raspberry)
1/2 container of cool whip (the regular sized container, not the big one)
popsicle molds
plastic ziploc bag

Mix all your ingredients together in a large-ish bowl until smooth. Make sure that you really mix it up and that you don't have little pockets of unmixed gelatin or cool whip. Spoon the yogurt mixture into your ziploc bag. Gently squeeze the air out as you close it. Kinda smoosh it all down into one corner. Snip the end of the bag's corner off with scissors and pipe/squeeze the mixture into your molds. You could just spoon the mixture into the molds, but it's easier and less messy to pipe it in. Put the molds in the freezer and freeze for at least four hours.

So I'm coming back to this the next day -
I tried a different mixture this time around and made 'ice cream' sandwiches with graham crackers. These came out to be right around 100 calories a sandwich. I think I prefer this version simply because they freeze with a more creamier texture. Though, both versions are spectacular.

Ingredients/stuff you'll need:
1 cup plain nonfat Greek style yogurt
1 package of sugar free pudding (I used butterscotch)
1/2 container of cool whip (the regular sized container, not the big one)
a couple splashes of milk
20 graham cracker squares
a ziploc bag

Do the same thing as above recipe/method, but pipe the yogurt mixture onto 10 of the graham cracker squares and then top the yogurt mixture with another graham to make sandwiches. I placed all my sandwiches on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer. Let them freeze for a couple of hours then wrap each sandwich in saran wrap or wax paper.

Price breakdown:
-One box (6) of Yoplait Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars -  $5.97 at my local grocery store
-10 frozen yogurt popsicles or 15 frozen yogurt sandwiches - about $2.55





No comments:

Post a Comment