Friday, February 7, 2014

fill up your cup friday


Happy Friday, Friends! 

I have been a wife for 7 years. I have been a mother for 3.5 years. My identity is now tied up in a name change and two balls of dirt and milk and legos and hotwheels cars and snot and poop that make a lot of noise (otherwise known as two little boys). I am no longer Sarah Stoltzfus, single. I am Sarah Stoltzfus Allen, married mother of two. 

And I wouldn't change that for the world! Let me just say that again so that the next part of this post doesn't sound all selfish. I wouldn't change that for the world!

Here's the deal, though. I spend so much of my time pouring into the lives of my husband and sons that I sometimes forget that I exist. I sometimes forget that Sarah likes to take photos of subjects that aren't her sons. Or that she enjoys reading Dave's gaming magazines on occasion. Or that making music with other individuals fuels her creative juices. I'm sure she has forgotten what it is like to poop by herself.

So in the spirit of taking care of myself (and being selfish for about 20 minutes every Friday), I have declared Fridays as Fill Up Your Cup Friday! What is this, you might ask? Well, every Friday I plan to find a way to spend 20-30 minutes doing something that I want to do (hopefully with no interruptions). Something that fills up my 'cup' and helps me re energize. It could be reading a bit more scripture than normal. It could be journaling, reading, making music, dancing, savoring a piece of dark chocolate without sharing. Whatever. It just has to be something that satisfies me on a spiritual/emotional level. 

I want you to join me! We pour ourselves into the lives of others so much, that we NEED to have some time to pour back into our own lives. We often find ourselves unhealthy simply because we don't take care of our emotional and spiritual needs. That needs to change! So every Friday, do something that makes you happy. For you! I promise you will be a happier, healthier person. 

Let's make it a movement, shall we?! (yeah right!) If you use instagram, tag your photos with #fillupyourcupfriday !


No comments:

Post a Comment