Saturday, August 10, 2013

What all do I need to do this thing?

A couple people have asked what all I had to buy to get going on this journey. So I decided it might be a good idea to put together a list of items, products, and apps that I use on a weekly basis. Just to give you an idea.

disclaimer: I am not a doctor. So what I am telling you is not medical advice. You should always talk to your doc about starting a new weight loss program and what types of exercises you should do. Also, I am not payed to be providing an opinion. I found something that works, so I'm going to talk about it.

Oh! Everything on this list was not bought all at the same time. I didn't throw down all the cash all at once. I have accumulated gear since I started this whole thing in April. Onto the list!


1. Scale - I don't know the brand. It's just a basic bathroom scale. I don't have one of the fancy ones that tell me everything from what I ate yesterday to the price of eggs in China. Mine just tells me how much I weigh.
Price: $25

2. Kettlebell - Again, I don't know the brand. It is a ten pound kettlebell. It has sand in it instead of iron like a lot of other types and has a plastic coating. This keeps the cost down. And this mama needs things to be good quality and cheap-ish.
Price: $27 at walmart. 

3. 10 Minute Solution Tighten and Tone Pilates - I had a coupon for this video and bought it on a whim while I was searching for a new workout to do on days that it rained and to strengthen my core. There are five segments that are each 10 minutes long. Each segment lasts 10 minutes and the video allows you to choose which ones you want to do and then plays them all in a row for you.The long and lean stretch at the very end is my favorite. I feel so spectacular at the end of that segment.
Price: $4 (with coupon)

4. Gold's Gym Long Resistance Band - I got this in a set of three. The one I use for pilates and after run stretching for my hips is the least resistance. I seriously love this thing. I use it nightly to stretch my hip flexors, hamstrings, etc. Love.
Price: $6 for all three

5. Baby Powder - I sprinkle baby powder on my resistance bands before and after each session. The bands are made of latex and can easily stick to itself. The baby powder helps keep the latex from sticking. Plus it smells good.
Price: $1

6. Running Shoes - I have yet to drop the benjimanins on 'real' running shoes. I bought these at a discount outlet type store. They are comfortable, do their job, and are cute. I'm happy.
Price: $32

7. Blender - I'm not sure where I got this thing or what brand it is. All I know is that it is basic and that I have used it every single day since the day I bought it (April 22, 2013).
Price: $17

8. Pure Protein Whey Protein Powder - I replace breakfast with a protein shake/smoothie every day. I mix 1 cup of milk with 1 scoop protein powder, half cup yogurt (various flavors), fruit, and ice cubes. It is very filling, low calorie and really packs a protein punch. Each smoothie averages about 40 grams of protein.

9. Water Bottle - No idea on the brand. It was a hand me down from a friend. I like it because it has a straw and it's purple.
Price: Free

Not Pictured:
Hula Hoop - I love my hoop. Like love love it. I credit the hoop with my obsession with fitness and getting healthy. I got her from HoopMamas on etsy. They custom made my hoop in the size and colors that I wanted. They were a breeze to work with and so awesome! This is probably my most expensive piece of gear, but I paid for express shipping. You can get a great, custom hoop for cheaper than what I did.
Price: $45

Compression Socks - When I first started running I had the worst shin splints ever. Like I could barely walk. It.Was.Bad. It was almost the end of my running days. Then I read an article about compression socks and their benefits for runners and I was sold. My aunt gave me my first pair. The next splurge will be for another pair so that I don't have to wash my socks every.single.day. I'll just have to do it every other day!

iPhone - This could really be any smartphone, I guess. And technically I don't need it to get healthy, but man is it handy! I use several apps on a daily basis to help me track my progress, connect with friends that hold me accountable, and I use it for my music source. The apps I use are myfitnesspal, nike running, instagram, and facebook.
Price: no idea, but all the apps I use are free.

Apps:
myfitnesspal - This is a calorie calculator, food diary and exercise diary, and a social network all wrapped into one. You tell the app all your stats and it tells you how many calories you should eat to lose weight. You keep track of your food (that you can search for in the database) and 'earn' more calories for all the exercise that you do during the day! As long as you are honest with the app, it is fantastic tool!

Nike+ - This app is a pedometer, motivator, goal reaching assistant, etc. It keeps track of your run, how many miles you have put in, uses your music to pump you up, helps you set goals and meet them, have challenges with others, and so much more that I haven't even figured out yet. I seriously love it.

Instagram - For those that don't know, this is a social networking-ish site for pictures. You upload a picture into the app, edit it, add some commentary and tags, and connect with other like minded people. The tags that you put on each picture can range from #happy to #weightloss to #whatever. Whatever tag you use, other people who search that tag will see your picture. I tag all my pictures with #becauseicanjourney #weightlossjourney #weightloss . I usually take at least one picture a day as a 'proof' that I did it picture. It's nice to see other people and their progress and get feedback on your progress. Thousands and thousands of people are using instagram to help them on their fitness journey and it's nice to connect with people from all over the world.

Facebook - I use facebook for more than just fitness, but I am very public on facebook about my fitness goals, my workouts, etc. It is nice to get the feedback from people that I actually know as well as people from all over the globe. I can share motivational quotes, pictures, etc on facebook. It has been a great asset in my journey thus far.

So yeah. That's the stuff I use. If you are looking to start on a weightloss journey, maybe this will help give you an idea where to start. Got questions? Ask away! I may not know the answer, but I can help you find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment