Thursday, August 8, 2013

I am not ashamed of my body.

Okay. So that's not entirely true. I am terribly, horribly, dreadfully ashamed that I let my body get to the state it was in before I started this whole journey. I do not like the way my body looks. I have layers and layers of fat. My face is huge. My ankles are huge. My thighs and calves are huge. I'm huge. That is not me belittling myself because I have a poor self image. That is fact.

But I'm working on it.

I was struck today by a comment a friend made to me in a text conversation. She said, and I quote, "I look so bad in workout clothes. I can't go to the gym!" I get that line of thinking. I do. I have yet to run with another person because everyone that I know that runs, looks good in workout clothes. You might see a panty line here and a bit of back fat there, but it's not my spare tire around my mid section and my thighs that clap together. I don't have a gym near me that I can go to, but when I'm going to be exercising in 'public' Ihate how I look. Either I'm going to be wearing a tank top that shows my horrible, flabby arms and leggings that show off my thighs or I'm going to be wearing sweats and a t-shirt that are big and baggy and make me look even more huge! It's a viscous cycle.

Today, though, when I read what she wrote, a thought stuck me. If you wait until you look good in workout clothes to start working out, you'll never look good in workout clothes! You'll keep doing what you have always done and keep getting the results that you always get. Again, not saying that out of self pity and poor body image. That is fact.

So, as of today, I will not let the fact that I am big keep me from working out. I will wear whatever workout clothes are clean, form fitting or baggy, and I'll get it done. Back fat and thunder thighs will not keep me from being seen in public working on my goal. I am going to make a point to be in 'public' more often. My one bad experience at the park will not keep me from going back.

So let's re-phrase:

I'm not ashamed for my body to be seen working on my fitness goals.

Deal? Can you make that statement with me?


Get out there and get moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment